- Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus
- Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
- In the Bleak Midwinter
- Joy to the World
- O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
- Once in Royal David’s City
Ways to incorporate hymns into your Advent season:
- Choose one hymn to learn for the entire Advent season. Choose a time to sing daily and build by adding one verse each week. “In the Bleak Midwinter” has 4 verses which would be conducive for this pacing. For longer or shorter options, “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” has 5 verses and “Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus” has only 2.
- Enjoy a variety of hymns by selecting one hymn to sing daily each of the four weeks of advent.
- Keep with tradition and sing “O Come, O Come, Emmanuel” the week leading up to Christmas with the seven “O Antiphons.”
- Listen and enjoy by downloading the songs for use in the car or around the house.
- When? Many times we enjoy hymns at Morning Time but Advent season gives us a chance to enjoy these beautiful carols at other times as well – possibly as a family before or after dinner, over a warm cup of hot chocolate, by the fire, or simply singing along while doing other Advent activities like crafts or baking Christmas cookies.